Departing Australia

If you've permanently left Australia and your temporary resident visa has expired or is cancelled, you can withdraw your super from your AustSafe Super account. This is called a Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP).

You need to apply for your DASP with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

How to apply?

  • Online: No additional documentation is required.


  • Printed ATO form: Additional evidence such as a Certificate of Immigration Status will be required.

Once your application has been finalised by the ATO, we’ll process the claim and forward a cheque to your overseas address.

If it’s more than six months since your visa expired or was cancelled, your super will be transferred to the ATO. If this happens, your DASP payment will be made by the ATO directly.

Who cannot claim a DASP?

  • Australian citizens
  • New Zealand citizens
  • Permanent Australian residents
  • Retirement visa holders
  • Investor retirement visa holders.

Tax on your payment

A withholding tax of 38% will be deducted from the taxed element of your super before it’s paid to you.

This tax is currently the subject of legislative discussion. More information on the departing Australia withholding tax will be provided once the current legislation is finalised.

More information

For more information on accessing your DASP payment, visit the ATO or contact them directly on +61 2 6216 1111 (if calling outside Australia).

If you need to contact AustSafe Super after your claim has been approved, call 1300 131 293 or +61 2 8571 6688 (if calling outside Australia) between 7am and 6pm (EST) Monday to Friday.

You can also download a fact sheet in your preferred language:

Bislama (Valuatu)
Gilbertese (Kiribati)
Simplified Chinese
Solomon Island Pidgin
Tok Pisin
Traditional Chinese