Departing Australia

If you've permanently left Australia and your temporary resident visa has expired or is cancelled, you can withdraw your super from your AustSafe Super account. This is called a Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP).

You need to apply for your DASP with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).

How to apply?

If you do not claim your super within six months of leaving Australia, or within six months of the cancellation or expiry of your visa if later, the ATO will instruct us to transfer your balance to them. If this occurs, you'll need to make a claim with them directly.

Who cannot claim a DASP?

  • Australian citizens
  • New Zealand citizens
  • Permanent Australian residents
  • Retirement visa holders
  • Investor retirement visa holders.

Tax on your payment

A withholding tax of 38% will be deducted from the taxed element of your super before it’s paid to you. 

If your payment is made after 1 July 2017, a higher rate of tax may apply, please refer to the ATO website for more information on these changes. 

More information

For more information on accessing your DASP payment, visit the ATO or contact them directly on +61 2 6216 1111 (if calling outside Australia).

If you need to contact AustSafe Super after your claim has been approved, call 1300 131 293 or +61 2 8571 6688 (if calling outside Australia) between 7am and 6pm (EST) Monday to Friday.

You can also download a fact sheet in your preferred language:

Bislama (Vanuatu)





Gilbertese (Kiribati)






Simplified Chinese

Solomon Island Pidgin


Tok Pisin


Traditional Chinese